Printed on: 03 Apr 2023
Celexa and Lexapro are two frequent psychiatrist prescribed medicines for psychological well being points. Each are FDA-approved to deal with melancholy, though Lexapro will also be used for adults with anxiousness. They each belong to a category of medicine known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Whereas Celexa or Lexapro have related results on the physique, there are some key variations between them:
- Lexapro is accredited to deal with anxiousness — although each are used off-label for different circumstances
- Lexapro could also be simpler than Celexa in treating signs of melancholy
- Lexapro is a barely newer drug — it was FDA-approved in 2002, whereas Celexa was accredited in 1998
- Lexapro is accredited to deal with melancholy in adults and kids 12 years and older; Celexa is just used with adults
Proceed studying as we discover extra on this comparability of Celexa vs Lexapro. We’re shining a light-weight on how every of those medicines works, what they deal with, what Celexa and Lexapro negative effects you ought to be conscious of, and the way to decide on which one could also be best for you.
“Each of those medicines are categorised as SSRIs and prescribed for temper and anxiousness issues. Celexa is FDA accredited and indicated for MDD and OCD. Lexapro is FDA accredited and indicated for MDD and GAD. Nevertheless, psychiatrists might prescribe these for different medical circumstances or as an off label medicine.”
How They Work
When Lexapro vs Celexa, it’s essential to know how these medication work. They each belong to a category of medicine known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). SSRIs enhance serotonin ranges within the mind, which is believed to assist regulate temper.
Similarities between Lexapro vs Celexa:
- Each forestall the reuptake of serotonin by growing ranges, which improves depressive signs
- Each have generic variations
- Each have related negative effects
- Each have withdrawal signs
- Each have comparatively few considerations about drug interplay with different medicine
- Each are solely obtainable by prescription, however neither is assessed as “managed medication”
Variations between Celexa and Lexapro:
- Dosage is completely different
- Lexapro might be administered in both liquid or pill type, however Celexa remedy solely comes as capsules
- Unintended effects might differ
- Celexa is extra prone to trigger QT prolongation — a coronary heart disturbance — at greater doses
Psychiatry and Prescriptions On-line
Obtain an analysis and prescription for psychological well being medicine (if wanted) from a psychiatry-trained medical supplier.
Situations They Deal with
Celexa and Lexapro are each FDA-approved to deal with main depressive dysfunction (MDD), and Lexapro can deal with generalized anxiousness dysfunction (GAD) in adults. They could even be used off-label for different psychological well being circumstances.
Celexa antidepressant medicine can be utilized off-label to deal with:
Lexapro antidepressant medicine can be utilized off-label to deal with:
Does Lexapro work higher than Celexa for anxiousness?
A major distinction between Celexa and Lexapro is efficacy. Some research counsel that sufferers with generalized anxiousness dysfunction (GAD) reply higher to Lexapro than Celexa for his or her situation.
Nevertheless, it’s essential to notice that every particular person responds in another way to medicines. Every little thing from the efficacy to how lengthy it takes for Lexapro to work might be completely different throughout people. It’s all the time greatest to debate your choices along with your physician or healthcare supplier so you may make the most effective choices about which medicine is best for you and your anxiousness and melancholy signs.
Frequent negative effects related to each medication embody:
- Insomnia or drowsiness
- Dry mouth
- Elevated sweating
Some folks might expertise sexual negative effects, together with decreased libido or problem reaching orgasm whereas taking both drug. Different potential negative effects embody weight acquire, particularly with regard to Lexapro weight acquire, or loss and adjustments in urge for food.
|Seizures||With greater doses and in folks with seizure dysfunction|
|*Low sodium ranges||✓|
|*Danger of bleeding||✓||✓|
|*Irregular coronary heart rhythm||✓|
|*Manic episodes in folks with bipolar dysfunction||✓||✓|
*Denotes extra extreme negative effects
“A number of negative effects are dose-dependent, at greater doses. These embody delayed ejaculation, fatigue, sleepiness, insomnia, sweating, and yawning.”
Does Celexa have much less negative effects than Lexapro?
On the whole, most individuals discover that the negative effects of both drug are delicate in comparison with the advantages they see. That stated, some folks do report experiencing fewer negative effects when taking one over the opposite.
If you happen to really feel you’re having too many adversarial reactions from any medicine, communicate along with your physician to allow them to alter your dosage or change medicines.
Dosage is one other distinction between Celexa and Lexapro. Dosage can fluctuate relying on components corresponding to age and medical historical past of sufferers, however the usually really helpful beginning doses are:
- Celexa: 20 mg per day
- Lexapro: 10 mg per day
“The dose increment is finished at completely different intervals and over completely different length. There’s a distinction within the signs response, the dosage prescribed is completely different Celexa 10/2/40 mg vs Lexapro 10/20 mg.”
Decide if Celexa or Lexapro Is Proper for You with Talkspace
Deciding which medicine is best for you might be troublesome. Even when taking the identical sort of antidepressant—like an SSRI corresponding to Celexa or Lexapro — medicines can have an effect on folks in another way. Regardless, most individuals discover medicine is simpler when mixed with remedy. That’s why Talkspace gives on-line psychiatry and remedy companies, the place licensed psychological well being professionals may help you identify the most effective remedy plan for you and your particular scenario.
With Talkspace, you obtain customized care tailor-made particularly in direction of serving to you handle your psychological well being situation so you may obtain long-lasting outcomes. Don’t hesitate to succeed in out and begin your journey in direction of higher psychological well being at this time.
- Montgomery S, Hansen T, Kasper S. Efficacy of escitalopram in comparison with citalopram: A meta-analysis. The Worldwide Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;14(02):261-268. doi:10.1017/s146114571000115x. https://educational.oup.com/ijnp/article/14/2/261/696727?login=false. Accessed December 14, 2022.
- Gorman JM, Korotzer A, Su G. Efficacy comparability of escitalopram and citalopram within the remedy of main depressive dysfunction: Pooled evaluation of placebo-controlled trials. CNS Spectrums. 2002;7(S1):40-44. doi:10.1017/s1092852900028595. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15131492/. Accessed December 14, 2022.
- Escitalopram (Lexapro). NAMI. https://www.nami.org/About-Psychological-Sickness/Therapies/Psychological-Well being-Drugs/Sorts-of-Medicine/Escitalopram-%28Lexapropercent29#: Accessed December 14, 2022.
Talkspace psychological well being companies
Handy and safe on-line remedy from the consolation of your house
Psychiatric remedy from a licensed prescriber
Relationship-centered remedy that connects you and your associate
Specialised on-line remedy for ages 13-17