Within the spring and summer season I stay up for rhubarb season, which additionally goes hand in hand with strawberry season. These two summer season fruits pair so effectively collectively, the crunchy, acidic rhubarb stalks offering a bracing construction to the fragrant, candy pink berries, culminating into the proper sweet-tart taste combo that’s so treasured in strawberry rhubarb recipes. Whereas most of us are very conversant in strawberries, fewer of us know the rhubarb as effectively.
When is rhubarb in season?
Relying in your location, rhubarb is in season April by means of June. I’ve a little bit rhubarb plant rising in my backyard, and I simply love to select these crisp stalks for this rhubarb sauce recipe. Whereas the massive triangular rhubarb leaves are inedible, the fleshy, crunchy pink-green stalks are scrumptious.
Find out how to freeze rhubarb when you have an ample provide?
It’s simple—simply slice them into brief items (1-2 inches), unfold them on a baking sheet, pop it within the freezer, and as soon as they’re stable, switch the rhubarb slices to an hermetic container. Now you’ll be able to retailer within the freezer for as much as 6 months to make use of on this recipe (it’s also possible to use retailer purchased frozen rhubarb). My mom would dip the uncooked stalks into sugar and eat them like dipping celery sticks into peanut butter, however I like them cooked with strawberries in quite a few methods, similar to a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler, summer season fruit skillet cobbler, or crisp. It’s also possible to use your rhubarb for this tremendous simple, scrumptious, healthful, versatile Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, which you’ll take pleasure in plain and easy by the spoon, identical to contemporary applesauce! Or, ladle it over your favourite desserts, similar to good cream, sorbet, or tart shells; breakfast meals, similar to plant-based yogurt parfaits, or complete grain porridge bowls; or baked items, similar to pancakes, waffles, and occasional cake. I swear, should you make up a batch of this tremendous simple, four-ingredient Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, it can disappear very quickly!
Make this simple, low-sugar, pure, scrumptious, wholesome, plant-based, gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce to serve over your favourite desserts, pancakes, waffles, yogurt, or cereal bowls—or to take pleasure in such as you would applesauce.
- 1 pound contemporary (or frozen) rhubarb stalks, trimmed of leaves, sliced into 1-inch items
- 1 pound contemporary (or frozen) strawberries, sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup natural cane sugar
- Place sliced rhubarb and strawberries in a medium pot. Add lemon juice, sugar, and stir effectively over medium warmth.
- Cowl, convey to a simmer over medium warmth, and prepare dinner for 10-Quarter-hour, stirring regularly, till fruit is tender and thickened.
- Take away from warmth, cool, and retailer in air-tight containers for as much as one week, or freeze for as much as 6 months.
- Makes 3 cups (6 servings, ½ cup every).
- Could take pleasure in as a easy sauce, or serve it in pies, cobblers, crisps, fruit bars, or popsicles; or over cereal, pancakes, waffles, good cream, or plant-based yogurt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: Quarter-hour
- Class: Sauces
- Serving Measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 61
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fats: 0 g
- Saturated Fats: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 1 g
Key phrases: strawberry rhubarb, rhubarb sauce, home made strawberry rhubarb sauce
For different fruit-forward desserts, try the next:
This publish might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, click on right here.