Listed here are earlier than and after pics of our new steel roof, together with professionals and cons of steel vs. shingles and a few widespread myths about steel.
Our New Steel Roof
Our renovation is much from over, however we now have a model new steel roof!!
We’ve been roofless for nearly two months
For 2 months the home has been uncovered to the weather as we now have added dormers to the highest flooring and enclosed a roof deck. Fortunately it didn’t rain very exhausting in March or April! We had 1-2 occasions when Thomas ran over to test on issues, however he mentioned it was unexpectedly dry.
Right here’s what it seemed like earlier within the reno:
Earlier than the home was flipped (unique roof)
Right here it’s proper earlier than we began our renovation:
The Shingles Earlier than
I consider the shingles had been added in 2014 when our home was flipped.
After the roof was put in (in progress!)
Our Steel Roof Supplies
Putting in The Steel Roof
First they constructed the roofline over the deck that was beforehand there:
Are you fearful of heights!?
Siding was added and painted earlier than the roof was put in:
Siding Materials: Hardie Plank Lap Siding with a 6″ reveal. This materials is made out of fiber cement which is tremendous sturdy, rot proof, and bug proof. Will probably be painted white!
The roof arrives to the yard
Set up begins!
First they lined the roof with some type of waterproof barrier, then the shingles went on high, aligned vertically.
I like the best way the panels change path on the proper facet.
We contemplated doing a rubber roof on the flat tops of the dormers that you would be able to’t see from the bottom, however it ended up being the identical value with no profit, so we continued the steel there too.
It’s gorgeous in particular person and appears so nice from the road!
We had nervous that our home would have “an excessive amount of roof” with the extension of the outdated deck, however the steel is so attractive that it’s an excessive amount of of factor!
Execs and Cons of a a Steel Roof
- They final a very long time: Steel roofs are imagined to final 40-70 years, so whereas they is perhaps dearer up entrance, the price evens out over time. In distinction, asphalt / shingle roofing sometimes lasts 12 to twenty years.
- They’re extra sustainable: Their lifespan additionally makes them the extra sustainable alternative. Plus they’re usually partially fabricated from recycled supplies and will be recycled themselves.
- They’re tremendous sturdy: Steel can stand up to quite a lot of components together with gusts of wind as much as 140 miles per hour. Additionally they have rust-proof coatings, so cracking or corroding is just not typical.
- They will cut back power prices: Actually! Not like heat-absorbing asphalt, steel displays daylight. (I’m not positive in the event that they kind of steel roof we obtained matches this description or if it’s principally for lighter steel shades.)
- They give the impression of being stunning! Clearly this can be a massive professional : )
- Study extra right here from the Steel Roofing Alliance.
- They’re dearer: The quotes we obtained for shingles vs. steel had been 2x as costly for the steel, $10k vs $20k. We’re renovating our home for us to stay in for the long-term, so this appeared like a clever funding given the professionals above. It’s 2x as costly however lasts 2-3x as lengthy, so it’s type of a wash in that division.
- They are often broken: whereas it’s unlikely (see the following part under) the steel can get broken. Our roofer mentioned you’ll be able to exchange only one panel if injury does happen, so the complete roof doesn’t want substitute. In steel’s protection, shingles can get broken too.
Gus is happy for the brand new roof on his porch!
Myths of Steel Roofs
Are steel roofs actually loud in rain?
I grew up in an historic home with a steel roof and have fond recollections of listening to the rain on high. Rain on a tin roof is even a white noise sound on some machines! That mentioned, in case you have the suitable quantity of insulation between the roof and high flooring, it shouldn’t be very loud. Ask me once more this fall, although ; )
Do steel roofs make a home hotter?
No, truly, they’re about the identical as shingles. I’ve heard that white roofs at the moment are a factor on the rooftops of economic buildings, however when evaluating steel to darkish shingles, they’re about the identical.
Do steel roofs have an effect on Wi-Fi or cell alerts?
Will a steel roof get dented simply?
This was my primary concern once we began researching roofs. I requested our roofer this and he mentioned to not fear about limbs or hail denting the steel, significantly on the sloped elements. He mentioned a extremely unhealthy hail storm may have an effect on the flat half, however you’ll be able to’t see that half except you’re a drone or airplane, so it’s not an enormous concern. That is one other “ask me in a yr!” query 😉
What sort of gutters go greatest with a steel roof?
Our earlier than home had white steel gutters and downspouts, however we’re going to go together with a darkish bronze to match the brand new roof this time round! We held up the samples of the roof subsequent to the samples of the gutter supplies and the black made the roof coloration look blue. The grey was too mild. So bronze it’s.
Will you be getting photo voltaic panels?
Possibly! They weren’t in our price range in the intervening time, however they’re one thing we want to pursue in a number of years. Fortunately they’re simple to put in on steel and we now have a south going through residence.
Up subsequent week: Home windows!!
See all of the renovation posts right here.