This purple lentil curry is extra like a soup than a thick stew and will be made on the range or within the Prompt Pot. It’s excellent served over rice or cauliflower rice. Including a bit lime and cilantro on the finish improves and brightens the flavour. Better of all, the curry can keep in the fridge all week for leftovers, and it freezes effectively. I’m all the time attempting to eat extra lentils all through the week as a result of they’re a easy option to obtain my fiber objectives (at the least 25 grams per day). Extra lentil recipes I like are this lentil soup and lentil salad.
This wholesome lentil curry recipe is from the brand new cookbook Plantifully Lean by Kiki Nelson, which options “greater than 125 easy, plant-based, low-fat recipes.” She provides satisfying and scrumptious plant primarily based dishes, together with Shiitake Rice with Thai Peanut Sauce and French Onion Soup. I used to be fascinated to examine her weight reduction journey following a high-carbohydrate, low-fat, plant primarily based weight loss plan. So lots of her recipes seemed superb, however I used to be most excited to do this vegan curry, and I’m pleased I did.
Lentil Curry Substances
- Spices: Cumin seeds, garam masala, curry powder, coriander, salt
- Aromatics: Recent minced garlic and ginger, diced onion
- Tomatoes: Cube two Roma tomatoes.
- Lentils: I used one cup of purple lentils.
- Water for the lentils to cook dinner in
- Garnish: Cilantro leaves and lime wedges
Incessantly Requested Questions on Lentils
Do it’s essential to soak purple lentils?
The wonderful thing about lentils is that they don’t require soaking like beans do. Plus, they cook dinner a lot quicker than dried beans. You could wish to rinse the lentils in a effective mesh strainer to make sure there’s no particles.
Do it’s a must to cook dinner lentils earlier than including them to curry?
No! The lentils cook dinner within the curry, making this dish a one-pot meal.
How lengthy do lentils take to cook dinner in a curry?
Crimson lentils take about 20 to half-hour on the range and 20 minutes within the Prompt Pot.
Is lentil curry good for you?
This lentil curry with out coconut milk is filled with fiber and protein and below 300 energy. Lentils are additionally full of nutritional vitamins and minerals, like iron, B6, and potassium.
Tips on how to Make Lentil Curry
- Cumin Seeds: For the Prompt Pot, push “Sauté,” and on the range, warmth a big pot over medium-high warmth. Toast the cumin seeds for a minute till aromatic and browned.
- Add the opposite components: tomatoes, onion, garlic, garam masala, curry powder, coriander, salt, and ginger. Cook dinner, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Lentils: Stir within the lentils and 4 cups of water. Put the lid on the Prompt Pot and strain cook dinner for 20 minutes. Permit the strain to launch naturally. On the range, convey the water to a boil, cowl, and cook dinner on low for 20 to half-hour till the lentils are tender.
Tips on how to Serve Lentil Curry
I like this lentil curry over white or brown rice or cauliflower rice for a low-carb choice. You can additionally serve it with a bit of naan or roti to scoop up the lentils. In order for you a vegetable to go together with it, do this Heat Curry Roasted Vegetable Salad, Rainbow Carrots with Ginger, or Roasted Cauliflower.
Tips on how to Retailer Lentil Curry
Retailer any leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as per week or freeze for as much as a month. The purple lentil curry is much more scrumptious the following day, making it excellent for meal prep! Reheat it within the microwave till heat.
- Lentils: You possibly can swap purple lentils with inexperienced or brown ones.
- Greens: Add spinach or kale on the finish.
- Cumin: Should you don’t have cumin seeds, add floor cumin with the opposite spices.
Extra Lentil Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Dimension: 1 1/3 cups
Prompt Pot Methodology:
Choose the Sauté setting in your Prompt Pot or multicooker.
Place the cumin seeds within the inside pot and toast till aromatic and browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, garam masala, curry powder, coriander, salt, and ginger. Cook dinner, stirring often, for five minutes.
Stir within the lentils plus 4 cups water.
Seal the pot and pressure-cook for 20 minutes, then enable the strain to launch naturally.
Warmth a big pot over medium-high warmth.
Place the cumin seeds within the pot and toast till aromatic and browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic,
garam masala, curry powder, coriander, salt, and ginger. Cook dinner, stirring often, for five minutes.
Stir within the lentils plus 4 cups water. Convey to a boil then cook dinner coated on low, 20 to half-hour, till the lentils are tender and cooked.
Please depart a score and remark letting us know the way you favored this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
Retailer any left- overs in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as per week, or freeze for as much as a month.
The curry is much more scrumptious the following day!
Serving: 1 1/3 cups, Energy: 216 kcal, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Protein: 13 g, Fats: 1 g, Sodium: 294 mg, Fiber: 8 g, Sugar: 7 g