Revealed on: 03 Apr 2023
Lexapro (Escitalopram) is a well-liked remedy for treating melancholy, generalized nervousness dysfunction (GAD), and different temper problems. It may be an efficient software in managing these situations, nevertheless it’s essential to grasp the negative effects of Lexapro which will include taking this antidepressant remedy. Understanding the potential dangers you are taking when deciding on Lexapro is crucial in your security and well-being.
Maintain studying as we discover frequent and extreme negative effects of Lexapro and take a look at doable interactions with different drugs or substances. If you’re knowledgeable of the dangers, you’re in a position to make the most effective choices relating to your psychological well being care.
Potential Dangers & Warnings of Taking Lexapro
Like most drugs, Lexapro can have negative effects. Kids below 12, pregnant or breastfeeding ladies, and a few individuals with sure allergic reactions mustn’t take Lexapro. Lexapro and being pregnant have their very own correlation, and should you’re pregnant whereas taking Lexapro, studying extra in regards to the two will assist you to make the best determination earlier than Lexapro use.
Moreover, individuals with an imbalance of their serotonin ranges may not be capable of take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Lexapro. The drug has additionally been related to low sodium within the blood (hyponatremia) within the aged who want to observe their sodium consumption.
Psychiatry and Prescriptions On-line
Obtain an analysis and prescription for psychological well being remedy (if wanted) from a psychiatry-trained medical supplier.
Facet Results of Lexapro
Whereas analysis reveals that Lexapro can successfully deal with signs of melancholy and nervousness, understanding potential negative effects is crucial earlier than starting it or any remedy. All the time talk about the potential dangers versus advantages related to its use and every other well being issues you could have along with your physician. They may also help decide if it’s protected so that you can take Lexapro long-term based mostly in your particular person wants and medical historical past.
“Widespread negative effects of taking Lexapro are weak spot, feeling drained, nausea, points with sleep, nervousness, or lack of urge for food. It will probably additionally trigger sexual issues, corresponding to decreased intercourse drive and erectile dysfunction. It’s good to concentrate on how the remedy is impacting you and what negative effects you’re having. It will probably differ from individual to individual. Make sure you talk about it along with your psychiatrist to be sure that that is the most effective remedy choice for you.”
Widespread negative effects
Widespread negative effects of Lexapro use can vary from delicate to extreme. Analysis reveals that aside from sexual negative effects, which usually don’t enhance, most of the extra frequent Lexapro negative effects have a tendency to reduce over time.
Plenty of Lexapro negative effects resolve inside two weeks of beginning the remedy. It’s finest to start with a low Lexapro dosage and slowly improve the quantity taken over a number of weeks as suggested by your physician.
Widespread negative effects related to Lexapro embrace:
- Nausea: Nausea is among the commonest negative effects of Lexapro. It sometimes happens throughout the first few weeks after beginning therapy. Usually it may resolve over time as your physique adjusts to the remedy. Taking Lexapro with meals or at bedtime might assist scale back nausea signs.
- Change in intercourse drive: Sexual negative effects are one other frequent prevalence when taking Lexapro. These would possibly embrace issues corresponding to decreased libido, problem reaching orgasm, delayed ejaculation, and erectile dysfunction for males.
- Menstrual cycle adjustments and/or vaginal dryness: Ladies can also expertise adjustments of their menstrual cycle or vaginal dryness whereas on this remedy.
- Insomnia: Insomnia is a possible facet impact of Lexapro, though it’s much less frequent than nausea or sexual issues. Insomnia typically begins the primary few weeks after beginning therapy however ought to enhance over time as your physique will get used to the remedy’s results. To attenuate insomnia signs, strive avoiding caffeine late within the day and setting a daily sleep schedule by going to mattress at across the similar time every night time. If insomnia persists, speak along with your physician about adjusting your dose or switching drugs.
- Drowsiness: Lexapro is understood to trigger extreme fatigue and drowsiness in some individuals.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth generally is a frequent facet impact of Lexapro.
- Diarrhea or constipation: Diarrhea or constipation might happen when utilizing Lexapro.
- Elevated sweating: Lexapro could cause some individuals to expertise elevated sweating.
- Weight achieve: Whereas it is going to differ from individual to individual, weight achieve might happen when taking Lexapro. Try our article on Lexapro weight achieve to study in regards to the causes and methods to keep away from these weight fluctuations.
Whereas most negative effects are delicate, some might grow to be extra extreme if not addressed. If negative effects persist for longer than two weeks or start to intrude along with your capability to perform day by day, you need to contact your physician instantly.
Severe negative effects
When taking any remedy, it’s important to concentrate on all the potential negative effects.
“Lexapro is an efficient remedy to deal with melancholy and nervousness however it may even have critical negative effects. Just be sure you speak to your physician about every other well being points you have got, in addition to different drugs you is perhaps taking earlier than beginning on Lexapro. This may also help inform your physician and scale back the possibilities of you having negative effects.”
Severe negative effects from taking Lexapro might embrace:
- Suicidal ideas or behaviors: Suicidal ideas or behaviors might happen in individuals taking this remedy – particularly these below 25 – so you need to monitor for indicators of elevated melancholy or suicidal habits whereas utilizing this drug.
- Modifications in habits: Some individuals discover a rise in aggression or agitation after starting Lexapro.
- Serotonin syndrome: Serotonin syndrome can happen when an excessive amount of serotonin builds up within the physique — signs embrace confusion, agitation, and fever. It is a identified doable facet impact of Lexapro to concentrate on.
- Mania: Lexapro can set off manic episodes in some individuals taking it for bipolar dysfunction.
- Seizures: Extra analysis is required to find out if Lexapro will increase the danger of seizures in individuals with a seizure dysfunction. Nevertheless, the drug can lead to some individuals and not using a situation having seizures.
- Irregular bleeding or bruising: Irregular bleeding or bruising when taking Lexapro could be on account of its capability to inhibit platelet aggregation in some individuals.
- Problem respiration or swallowing: Lexapro could cause an allergic response. Although uncommon, the response would possibly typically lead to problem respiration and/or swallowing.
In the event you expertise any of those extreme negative effects whereas taking Lexapro, search medical consideration immediately.
Sure drugs and alcohol can work together with and affect the efficacy of Lexapro therapy. You need to be conscious of potential interactions when taking this or any drug. Make sure you communicate along with your physician or pharmacist and share what different medication or medication you’re taking. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice generally work together with some SSRI drugs, so make certain to test along with your pharmacist or physician about that interplay.
Lexapro interactions with different medication
Some prescription and over-the-counter medication, nutritional vitamins, or dietary supplements can work together with Lexapro. Generally identified interactions can happen with:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
- Different SSRIs
- Sure antihistamines corresponding to diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
Sure combos of medication and medication can improve the danger of creating harmful negative effects or scale back the effectiveness of 1 or each medication.
For instance, combining Lexapro with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) could cause critical reactions, together with hypertension and seizures. Research have linked problems to Lexapro and MAOIs when taken inside 14 days of one another.
Lastly, sure drug interactions with antibiotics — like clarithromycin, which might trigger an irregular coronary heart rhythm that may be life-threatening — shouldn’t be taken whereas on Lexapro.
Lexapro interactions with alcohol
Keep away from consuming alcohol when taking an SSRI antidepressant like Lexapro. Alcohol’s sedative properties may improve the danger for hostile reactions when mixed with the drug’s energetic components. Study extra about what can occur when Lexapro and alcohol, so that you’re absolutely conscious of potential reactions.
Discuss with a Physician About Lexapro
Discuss to a health care provider or on-line psychiatrist at Talkspace in regards to the potential negative effects of Lexapro — each frequent and critical — earlier than taking it or every other nervousness or melancholy remedy. Lexapro can successfully deal with melancholy and different psychological well being situations, nevertheless it isn’t appropriate for everybody. Understanding the dangers related to its use and understanding what to search for is essential.
You don’t should stay with psychological well being situations that negatively affect your life. Assist is accessible by means of remedy, psychiatrist-prescribed remedy, and way of life adjustments. In the event you’re involved and in search of interventions that will help you handle the signs of your melancholy or one other temper dysfunction, speak to your physician or therapist to seek out out if Lexapro is perhaps an choice for you.
To get solutions to extra questions on Lexapro, such because the distinction between Celexa vs. Lexapro or how lengthy it takes for Lexapro to work, take a look at our sources or speak to a health care provider at present.
- Jiang Okay, Li L, Xueyi W, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of Escitalopram in therapy of main depressive dysfunction with nervousness signs: A 24-week, open-label, potential research in Chinese language inhabitants. Neuropsychiatric Illness and Therapy. 2017;Quantity 13:515-526. doi:10.2147/ndt.s120190. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5322850/. Accessed December 12, 2022.
- Escitalopram (Lexapro). NAMI. https://www.nami.org/About-Psychological-Sickness/Remedies/Psychological-Well being-Drugs/Varieties-of-Medicine/Escitalopram-(Lexapro). Revealed 2020. Accessed December 12, 2022.
Talkspace psychological well being companies
Handy and safe on-line remedy from the consolation of your private home
Psychiatric therapy from a licensed prescriber
Relationship-centered remedy that connects you and your companion
Specialised on-line remedy for ages 13-17