This creamy, evenly candy and spicy Coconut Curry recipe is impressed by the curries I ate throughout our journey to Thailand a couple of years in the past. This model is made with easy-to-find components, filled with wealthy Thai taste, has a beautiful creamy texture, AND is vegan too!
Why You’ll Love This Straightforward Curry Recipe
- Heat, Daring Flavors. Thai meals is advanced and fragrant, with candy, spicy, and tangy notes from components like chilis, citrus, garlic, and fish sauce or soy sauce. From Shrimp Pad Thai to Panang Curry, we LOVE it!
- Quick + One-Pot. This can be a 30-minute meal and in the event you low cost the rice, it’s additionally a one-pot meal. That means much less time washing dishes and extra time consuming the all time coconut curry!
- Pantry Components. The components on this recipe are streamlined and straightforward to search out, regardless of the place you reside! Maintain Thai purple curry paste (which is broadly obtainable in grocery shops all through the U.S.), a can of chickpeas, canned coconut milk, and a bag of frozen veggies readily available, and you’ll whip up this recipe (or Massaman Curry!) anytime.
- Saucy. The sauce is without doubt one of the finest elements of curry. Creamy coconut milk tames the warmth and makes curry sauces further yummy over brown rice or sopped up with bread.
- Wholesome. This vegetarian coconut curry is filled with greens, plant-based protein, and is even dairy free (so sure, it’s vegan!).
- Adaptable. No chickpeas readily available? Take a word from my Tofu Curry and swap cubed sautéed or Air Fryer Tofu. Swap the veggies right here for no matter is in your crisper drawer.
5 Star Evaluation
“I’ve made this a bunch of instances and it’s now in my common rotation. Very easy, scrumptious, wholesome, and fast.”
— Jen —
Find out how to Make Coconut Curry
In Thailand, many of the coconut curries we tried have been made with hen (like this Thai Rooster Curry), however to maintain this recipe further super-duper speedy, I turned it right into a Thai vegetable curry by utilizing chickpeas as an alternative.
- Chickpeas. The chickpeas’ gentle taste meshes effectively with the bolder spices within the straightforward curry sauce, and their pleasantly chewy texture is a pleasant distinction to the sauce’s creaminess
- Crimson Curry Paste. The star of the present that packs taste and punch into each chew of this wholesome vegetarian curry with chickpeas. Craving selection? Decide up inexperienced curry paste and use it for a Inexperienced Curry!
Observe that each curry paste is a little bit totally different by way of taste and warmth (some are SPICY others are extra on the gentle aspect.) Take a while to discover to search out your favourite purple curry paste.
- Coconut Milk and Coconut Sugar. Infuse this dish with coconut goodness and make it wealthy, creamy, and barely candy.
- Soy Sauce. For some good old school umami taste.
- Rice Vinegar. Balances the dish and lends it some important acidity.
- Greens. I used bell peppers, onions, carrots, and peas, all of which I discovered in my coconut curry bowls in Thailand at one level or one other.
- Ginger + Garlic. A vital duo of dynamic spices that give this recipe some further zip.
- Rice or Quinoa. For serving. Brown rice (I like to make brown rice within the Prompt Pot) or cooked quinoa are my favorites so as to add some bulk and extra plant-based fiber to this recipe to make it extra filling. You too can use white rice.
- Saute. I like to make use of coconut oil however canola oil or avocado oil work too.
- Add the Aromatics. Garlic, ginger, and the curry paste bloom with taste over the warmth.
- Add the Veggies. Be happy to mess around along with your greens of selection.
- Add the Coconut Milk and Chickpeas. Stir all of it collectively.
- Simmer. In 10-Quarter-hour, your curry will thicken.
- Add the Ending Components. Soy sauce and rice vinegar, plus frozen peas in the event you like (they’ll thaw instantly).
- Serve. Over rice or quinoa, garnished with contemporary cilantro, or borrow from Indian curries and dip with Home made Naan. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Maintain leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Heat in a skillet over medium warmth till steaming. You too can microwave in a coated microwave-safe container till heated by means of.
- To Freeze. I don’t advocate freezing, as I’ve not had one of the best luck freezing sauces with coconut milk bases.
- Dutch Oven. (This one is excellent. This is one other glorious, extra economical choice.)
- Prompt Pot. I prepare dinner brown rice in my Prompt Pot, and it’s excellent each time. (You possibly can, in fact, prepare dinner rice in an everyday saucepan too!)
It’s comforting to know that whereas I won’t be capable of sneak again to Chiang Mai to wash an elephant anytime quickly, no less than I can relive the expertise through this straightforward vegan coconut curry recipe.
Recipe Ideas and Methods
- Use Your Favourite Veggies. Be happy to swap in several greens to fit your tastes and what’s in your fridge—cauliflower, broccoli, pea pods, bok choy, candy potatoes, eggplant..it’s all honest sport! Bear in mind the cooking instances may have to regulate since some veggies will prepare dinner sooner or longer than these chosen for the unique recipe.
- Put money into a Few Thai Components. It actually is superb what number of extra recipes you can also make when you’ve gotten fish sauce, a jar of purple curry, and a can of coconut milk. See these Asian-inspired recipes for much more concepts and add them to your grocery cart!
- Style, Style, Style. Don’t be afraid to regulate the sauce to fit your tastes as you go. Add extra soy sauce (for extra saltiness), coconut sugar (for extra sweetness), or purple pepper flakes (for extra warmth). This recipe is flexible to go well with totally different palettes.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or substitute extra-virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons minced contemporary ginger or in a pinch, 2–3 teaspoons floor ginger
- 3 tablespoons Thai purple curry paste plus 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 teaspoon purple pepper flakes
- 6 small/medium carrots peeled and reduce into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 2 cups)
- 2 massive purple bell peppers cored and sliced
- 2 cans gentle coconut milk (14-ounce cans)
- 2-4 teaspoons coconut sugar brown sugar, or turbinado sugar
- 1 can reduced-sodium chickpeas (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce plus 2 teaspoons, or tamari to make the recipe gluten free
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Chopped contemporary cilantro for serving
- Ready brown rice or quinoa for serving
Warmth a big pot equivalent to a Dutch oven over medium. As soon as scorching, add the coconut oil and onion. Sauté for two to three minutes, till barely softened.
Add the garlic and ginger and let prepare dinner 30 seconds, then add the purple curry paste and purple pepper flakes. Stir to mix and let prepare dinner 1 extra minute. Add the carrots and bell pepper and stir to coat with the spices and curry.
Stir within the coconut milk, 2 teaspoons sugar, and chickpeas, then deliver to a simmer over medium-high warmth. Then cut back the warmth to low and proceed cooking (uncovered) for 10 to fifteen minutes, till barely thickened and the greens are crisp-tender.
Stir within the soy sauce and rice vinegar. Style and add extra soy sauce (for extra saltiness), sugar (for extra sweetness), or purple pepper flakes (for extra warmth) as desired. Stir within the peas and let prepare dinner for 3 extra minutes. Serve heat over rice or quinoa, garnished with contemporary cilantro.
- TO STORE: Maintain leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat in a skillet over medium warmth till steaming. You too can microwave in a coated microwave-safe container till heated by means of.
- TO FREEZE: I don’t advocate freezing, as I’ve not had one of the best luck freezing sauces which have a coconut milk base.
Serving: 1(of 4), with 1/2 cup ready brown riceEnergy: 519kcalCarbohydrates: 68gProtein: 13gFats: 21gSaturated Fats: 17gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 1gPotassium: 785mgFiber: 13gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 15362IUVitamin C: 127mgCalcium: 114mgIron: 4mg
Be part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sure! For these with dietary restrictions, this vegan curry recipe can simply be made gluten free. You have to to swap the soy sauce for gluten-free tamari and in addition ought to test the labels of all different components to make sure you choose these which can be gluten free and manufactured in a gluten-free licensed facility.
Whereas I don’t calculate my recipes’ actual sodium content material for a lot of causes, curry recipes are typically not one of the best for these attempting to look at their sodium. Each soy sauce and purple curry paste are likely to include lots of sodium. Nevertheless, there *are* numerous home made curry paste recipes on the market that might aid you management the sodium stage as a lot as you’d like. Some manufacturers provide lower-sodium varieties of those components too.
Whereas each Indian and Thai delicacies have curries that embrace coconut milk, this coconut curry recipe is extra paying homage to these you’d discover in Thailand or at Thai eating places all over the world.